Thursday, May 16, 2013

I have more holidays than Italians.

My Italian true love has been saved from a day of labor. Today. Because it’s a holiday. In the city of Carbonia. In Sardinia.  A holiday in honor of the city’s patron saint. My true love tells me that the holiday rolls around annually. But it seems more often. I have the impression that it occurs several times. Maybe it’s more the fact that religious holidays abound in Italy. Yes, it’s an advantage of living in a Catholic country. Almost 100 percent of Italians call themselves Catholics. Maybe Italians have been bribed -- with an abundance of religious holidays. Come to think of it, when I’m living in Italy with my true love, every day seems like a holiday.  Even though I’m a non-Catholic. A non-Christian. Instead, I’m a spiritual free-thinker. Means I don’t need a holiday to celebrate life. Every day is special. I’ve learned to savor precious moments. Daily. Means I have far more de facto holidays than the holiday-rich Italians. –Jim Broede

No comments: