Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My sister, the racist.

My sister is a racist. I’ve been cautioned by friends not to write about it. That it’s too personal. That one should keep quiet if there’s a racist in the family. But that’s not me. I don’t hesitate talking about it. With my sister. And with other people. Because I think racists should be confronted. Taken to task. Especially if they are friends and relatives. My sister also is a Republican. The kind of Republican that despises Barack Obama. She claims it’s largely the result of his policies. But I know better. If Obama were white, she’d learn to accept and tolerate him. And if I were black, she’d have great difficulty accepting me. Yes, it would make a difference.  She’s opposed to interracial marriages. That, in itself, tells a great deal about my sister. But hey, she’s my sister.  Always will be. But she doesn’t necessarily always have to be a racist. She can change her attitudes. I’m working on her. –Jim Broede

No comments: