Thursday, June 13, 2013

Breathing the fresh air of life.

A conservative Christian asked me the other day, what am I smoking?  It wasn’t a put-down. I assume he’s nice guy. A nice Christian, too. In his own way.  Deep down, he probably suspects that I’m not a Christian.  He’s probing. Trying to be polite about it. Anyway, his inquiry came in a public forum. I could answer him. In the same forum. But it would be unwise of me.  Because that would stir a debate and unwanted controversy in that particular forum. Better that he write to me. We could exchange emails. Privately. Or I could take up the issue right here  in my blog.  Where I have great flexibility. That’s why I started Broodings. It’s my personal forum. I call the shots. I set the rules.  Same goes in my private emails. I’m forthright. Honest. Above board. That’s the way I like it. Wish I could be open all the time. In every instance. But that’s impractical.  Maybe it would do more harm than good. And lead to misunderstandings. Or hard feelings. In real life, I make no pretense about it. I ain’t a Christian. Used to be. Was raised a Christian. Attended Sunday school regularly. Got confirmed in a liberal Protestant church/denomination. Even served on a board of deacons. Imagine that. Deacon Jim. Funny. Funny. Funny. But I ain’t a Christian no more. Instead, I’m a free-thinker. Shunning organized religions. I believe in a grand creator. And prefer direct communication with him/her. In a spiritual rather than religious way. I also believe in an afterlife. In a spiritual realm. I don’t believe in Hell. And I believe in salvation for everyone. Even Hitler. We are all given repeated chances to get it right. Which means becoming true lovers.  Little wonder that some conservative Christians think I’m smoking something. When really, I’m breathing the fresh air of life. –Jim Broede

No comments: