Thursday, June 13, 2013

Give me animals over people.

I’m dog-sitting. A neighbor’s dog. So that the neighbor can get away for a few days. For a wedding. In Kansas City. It’s good for the neighbor to flee. Because for four years she’s been saddled. The primary care-giver for her aging parents. Both with dementia. I’ve encouraged the neighbor to put her parents into assisted living.  So she can become a better care-giver. By tackling the immense care-giving task part-time. Getting respite. And sharing the workload with professionals. And she’s finally gonna do it. The parents go into assisted living in July. Still another encouraging sign, too. My neighbor boarded a plane today. Other volunteers are caring for the parents while she’s gone.  I’m taking the dog, Sasha. She’s with me now. Being brow-beat by my two cats, Loverboy and Chenuska. Oh, maybe I exaggerate. They are all getting along just fine.  No jealousy. Really, animals get along better than people. Animals being very tolerant of each other.  First time I’ve had a dog in the house for years and years. I’ve become a cat person. I talk to cats. They talk to me. We speak each others' language.  I love my cats dearly. More than people. Except for my Italian true love. Don’t get me wrong. People are all right. But I prefer animals. –Jim Broede

No comments: