Saturday, June 22, 2013

Just-deserts for the guilt-inclined.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Yes, I practice ways to not feel guilty. Because guilt can drag one down. Instead, I persuade myself that I don’t have to do everything. Or to be everything to everyone. I can’t do it all. I have to draw lines. And declare that enough is enough. I could easily list 100 things to do around the house. Projects of one kind or another.  But by doing that, I might have pangs of guilt. No sense in feeling guilty. So there’s no list. Therefore, I have no written reminder to feel guilty. That helps. But I know people, including some dear friends, that are constantly feeling guilty. About big things. And little things, too. They never run out of guilt. Endless guilt trips are routine. They try to make me feel guilty. For not feeling guilty. Instead, I make them feel guilty for trying to make me feel guilty. Serves them right. –Jim Broede

No comments: