Tuesday, June 18, 2013

No reason to have boundaries.

America. Love it or leave it. I’ve been told that many times over the years. Because some self-styled patriots think I ain’t so patriotic. I don’t pledge allegiance to the flag, for instance. And I’m critical of many, many policies. Especially those proposed by Republicans. I’m also pretty much opposed to American-instigated wars. I’ve served my country. In the Army. But I’ve never had to go to war. Fortunately. Anyway, I’ve done more than some war-mongering American politicians. They love war. Except when it comes to volunteering to be soldiers. Instead, they prefer sending others to fight the wars. I’m for war only if it means sending the politicians into mortal combat. Meanwhile, I’ve found a way to love my country. And leave it, too. I live in Italy almost half of the year. But I’m also happy to return. To spend the other six months in Minnesota. Being a good American. Though I wouldn’t mind having dual citizenship. I could be a patriotic Italian, too. Divided loyalties. Come to think of it, I’m feeling more and more like a citizen of Mother Earth. No reason to have boundaries. Especially when it comes to love. –Jim Broede

No comments: