Sunday, June 30, 2013

On not being all things to all people.

I can’t be all things to all people. That’s impossible. Probably applies to everyone. So I have to pick and choose. Set my priorities. Happened years ago. When my dear sweet wife Jeanne had Alzheimer’s. It was a 13-year siege with dementia. I chose to focus on Jeanne. Above all else. Even when my mother was ill and dying. Had to leave the primary responsibility for mother to a niece. Yes, that’s the way I look at life. I’m spread thin. I can do only so much. And I have to try to not feel too guilty. When someone/something gets neglected. But I know people who try to be all things to all people. And sometimes they collapse, or even die, in pursuit of the unattainable goal.  Doesn’t make sense. If they are my friends, I encourage them to focus on the most important people in their lives. Mostly, loved ones. As for me, my devotion/responsibility/love for Jeanne was put on a higher level than my devotion/responsibility/love for my mother. I couldn’t do it all. And I lived with that decision. Without too many qualms of conscience. –Jim Broede

No comments: