Saturday, June 29, 2013

Please, no more funerals.

When my dear, sweet Jeanne died seven years ago, I decided not to hold a funeral. It would have been too macabre for me. Besides, I don’t think Jeanne wanted a funeral. I thought about a memorial service. Maybe months later. But even that didn’t materialize. Thank goodness. Better to commune directly with Jeanne’s spirit. Whenever I feel like it. And anyone else that misses Jeanne can do the same. Any time.  Another thing. I abhor ‘visitations.’ That’s an odd word. An opportunity to view the deceased in an open casket.  Again, that’s too ghoulish for me. I’d rather remember Jeanne as a vibrant living being. Not as a corpse. Her physical life is over. Now she’s a beautiful and magnificent spirit. That’s my focus. On the spirit. Not the physical any more.  And still another thing, Jeanne was cremated. No need for burial or a graveside service. Yes, let’s eliminate the usual  rituals. Better to get on with life. Recognizing that the spiritual part of Jeanne never died. Let’s celebrate a grand and glorious life. Jeanne lives. Forever. I know. For certain. After all, her spirit permeates me. –Jim Broede

No comments: