Friday, July 5, 2013

On drawing the poop line.

Having been an Alzheimer care-giver for 13 years, I learned many skills. Not least being on poop clean up detail. Round-the-clock. Poop in the pants. Poop in the bed. Poop on bookshelves. Poop hidden in boxes. Poop. Poop. Poop everywhere except in the toilet.  Yes, that’s one of the many perils of Alzheimer’s. Not everyone is continent. When I got married, a ready-made family came with the bargain. A son, 8. A daughter, 12. Made me think I was smart. Having avoided the diaper stage. Thought I’d get through life without ever having to clean up poop. But life takes strange and interesting twists. I learned how to handle poop. All sorts of it. And really, it’s not all that bad. I can do it. Others can’t. They draw the line.  With poop. One they refuse to cross. I’ll do almost anything. For the sake of love. –Jim Broede

No comments: