Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Curious animals. Curious people.

Two raccoons visited me tonight.  On my deck. Just outside sliding glass doors. A magnificent and thrilling view. From my study. It was  dark. But I could still see them. A scene to behold. Roused my Italian true love from sleep. So she could see live raccoons. For the first time ever. I had left peanuts on the deck. In the afternoon. For the squirrels. But the raccoons made the discovery. Before the squirrels. Now I’m looking forward to frequent revisits from the raccoons. I’ll put out food for the raccoons every night. For the rest of summer. And I’ll light the deck. For a better view. I wouldn’t have noticed the raccoons. If not for my cat Chenuska. She hissed. And batted at the door glass. To try to chase away the raccoons. Unsuccessfully, of course. At first, I didn’t see the raccoons. But I knew something had to be out there. Maybe a stray cat. But no, I soon spotted a raccoon. Then a second one. They pressed their faces against the door glass. As if they might want to come in. But more likely, to satisfy their curiosity. That’s what I like. Curious animals. Curious people. –Jim Broede

No comments: