Monday, August 26, 2013

More to like than dislike.

I’m an American. Without any control over my government. It really isn’t mine. I’d like a different sort of government. But I won’t and can’t get it. Because as an individual, I am powerless. Oh, I can vote. I can shout. But that ain’t power. For power, I need money. Lots of it. So that I can buy my way into power. Really, my voice or my presence doesn’t matter. That was the case even when I served on the local school board. It was a matter of merely going through motions. Sometimes, I was on the far end of 5-1 votes. Like most Americans, I sit on the sidelines. And watch. And hope that government decisions go my way.  Occasionally, they do. But mostly they don’t. That’s all right. I’ve learned to live with the world the way it is. Even the things I don’t like. Because there’s far more to like than dislike. –Jim Broede

No comments: