Friday, September 6, 2013

Everything but farmers.

Had my heart set on visiting a farmers market. In big city Chicago, of all places. But got sidetracked. My Italian true love and I decided first to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo.  Then go to the farmers market. Just south of the zoo. An unwise decision. Got there, and someone was loading a van with empty crates. “Where’s the farmers market?’ I asked. Turns out, we  arrived an hour too late. Missed it all.  That’s what I miss most when in Chicago.  Farmers.  Chicago would be a better place if it had more farmers. More country hicks. Chicago is getting too cosmopolitan for me.  Instead of bean stalks, I’m seeing skyscrapers. And gorillas, monkeys, tigers, giraffes, camels. Everything but farmers. Because I bungled an opportunity. –Jim Broede

No comments: