Monday, November 18, 2013

Savoring all the good things.

I savor wins. And pretty much ignore losses. Without lamenting. That makes me a well-adjusted fan of the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago Bears. Having learned to take losses in stride. Losing used to bother me. For days. But no more.  Knowing full well I can’t affect the outcomes of baseball and football games. Therefore, I have to practice acceptance. No sense in stewing over a setback. But it’s all right to savor a win, by golly. By the Bears. On Sunday. In dramatic fashion. In overtime. Made my Sunday. Monday, too. Maybe the whole week. Triggered a good mood. An opportunity to savor wonderful happenstance. Luck, too. And athletic skills. So many things. That made the Bears winners. Not least being an assist from the football gods. They’ve often made me suffer. But I’ve become like the mythical Sisyphus. I refuse to suffer any more. I enjoy rolling a rock up a hill. And better yet, a win by the Bears or the Cubs. Any time. Any place.  I savor all the good things in life. –Jim Broede

No comments: