Thursday, November 14, 2013

To be a true lover of life.

When I was a care-giver, I learned to enjoy the pursuit.  I stopped lamenting.  Ceased agonizing.  Accepted my role. Not only tended to dear sweet Jeanne. Without fail. By being with her 8 to 10 hours a day. But also cared for myself. With daily rest/respite. With daily exercise. Both mental and physical.  That’s important. I understood. That unless I took control of my life, I’d be in danger of doing more harm than good. To everyone. I’d be doing an inadequate job. My goal was to be one of the best care-givers. By taking a sensible and balanced approach. I began to exude good vibes. Toward Jeanne. And internally, too. Toward myself. Really, towards everyone. And that’s the lesson I learned. And which I still heed. Seven years after Jeanne died.  To be a true lover of life.  –Jim Broede

No comments: