Thursday, December 19, 2013

Everything is now.

My third or fourth greatest fear. Growing old. To the point that I can no longer take adequate care of myself. The result of diminished mental and physical capacity. When one needs to rely on others. I haven't reached that point. And maybe never will. Could be it's better to just drop dead. And not linger on. But if I live for a long, long time. Well into my 80s and 90s, let's say. I could end up old and decrepit. Not a nice thought. But it happens to people all the time. I know some of 'em. I understand their fears and discomfort. Some of 'em would rather be dead. But others still find ways to savor and appreciate life. Even in such adverse condition. Amazing, to say the least. Don't know exactly how I'd react to that kind of circumstance. I am currently in love with life. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'll always be enamored. Far easier to be a lover when all's well. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally. Better able to curb my fears about the future. I live for today. By savoring what I've got. I'll deal with bad times when I have to. No sense in getting too far ahead of myself.  Now. Now. Now has always been the most important moment in my life. I  have yet to actually live in the fearful future. Come to think of it, maybe there is no future. Everything is now. --Jim Broede

No comments: