Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Yes. Yes. Winter ain't all that bad.

Winter ain't all that bad. Even in Minnesota. I'm practicing. Thinking positive. About my pending return to true winter. On Wednesday night. I've escaped real winter. For three solid weeks. In Arizona. Where the natives complain. If the temperature dips to 50 degrees. Above zero. Imagine that. And here I am. Anticipating 11 degrees. Below zero, that is.  I'm thinking seriously. About sticking out almost the entire winter. In a land where sometimes the temperatures don't climb above freezing. For 60-some consecutive days. Incredible. But true. Makes me proud. To have survived. Through it all. Goes to show. I'm no sissy.  Stupid, yes. But brave. Of course, I could flee. At almost any time. To the paradise of Sardinia. Where my Italian true love would keep me warm.  I have that option. But still, I feel obligated to spend a winter in Minnesota. Because I've been spoiled. By spending the last three winters in Sardinia. Really, it's never true winter in Sardinia. Much like Arizona. Palm trees and cactus, too. Even more. Mediterranean beaches galore. I've yet to experience freezing temperatures or snow in Sardinia. Though it can happen. At the higher altitudes. Seems to me that winter is a mere state of mind. One has options. To choose one's state. Snow. Snow. Snow everywhere. A beautiful sight. A wintry scene from Dr. Zhivago. And I love to shovel. More than BS. Real snow. A nice workout. Makes me feel good. Then coming indoors. To a crackling fire. Yes. Yes. Winter ain't all that bad.  --Jim Broede

No comments: