Friday, February 21, 2014

An art gallery. To savor. To browse.

Here in Minnesota, no two winters are the same. Every winter unique. Once upon a time, I thought winters were all the same.  Snow. Cold. Then I noticed the details. The little things. The variations. Mother Nature’s handiwork. This winter. No single gigantic snowstorm. Yet, it seems as though we’ve been deluged with snow. Delivered a few inches at a time. Keeps adding up. Snow banks eight to 10 feet tall. Shoveling my driveway. I throw the snow. Like a discus or a shot put. Clearing the snow, too, from the low-pitch roof. Creates mighty banks. For easy access to the roof. No ladder required. Mother Nature is up to tricks. A February thaw. To fool us. That spring is on the way. But then, last night, a clean blanket of snow. And wind. Artistically sculptured drifts. Wet snow, too. Clinging to the skeletal tree branches.  Makes me wonder. Why I ever fled or dreaded winter. When really. Winter is here. In all its beauty. An art gallery. To savor.  To browse. –Jim Broede

No comments: