Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The reminder. I'm the blessed one.

Being an Alzheimer’s care-giver. It’s no easy task. But I reflected. Better to be the care-giver than the victim/patient. Imagine. The roles being reversed. Indeed, I did. That’s scary. Made me appreciate dear sweet Jeanne’s dilemma. She desperately needed care. And loving. The big question. Was I up to it? No longer a theoretical game. It was real life. Initially, I didn’t know. I suspect none of us do. But we forge ahead. In different ways. Some succeed. Some don’t. But that’s no shame. Trying. Trying. Trying. Loving. Loving. Loving. That’s the purpose of life. Isn’t it? Thinking. That maybe I was blessed. Honored. To be dear Jeanne’s care-giver. Better for me. To be tested. Rather than for Jeanne. Maybe that’s selfish. But it helped get me through. The constant reminder. I’m the blessed one. –Jim Broede

No comments: