Wednesday, March 26, 2014

As good as they come.

Valerie Evje. She’s special. Partly, because she’s been my primary care physician. For at least 30-some years.  She’s a very, very competent doctor. Furthermore, I like her. As a decent, empathetic human being. A good listener, too. That’s all part of being a good doctor. Generally, I feel at ease in Dr. Evje’s presence.  Except when she’s gonna take my blood pressure. I have the white coat syndrome. I tense up. My BP shoots up. Sometimes into the stratosphere. When anyone wearing a white coat wraps that arm cuff around me. When I return home, everything’s back to normal. Anyway, Dr. Evje understands. I keep track. Of my BP. Outside the doctor’s clinic.  I share that information with Dr. Evje.  We work as a team. That’s supposed to be the nature of a doctor-patient relationship. Good communication. I’ve always had that with Dr. Evje. Little wonder. That I’ve followed her. All these years. As she moved from clinic to clinic. Across the Twin Cities (St. Paul-Minneapolis) area. Now it’s a 40-mile drive. One way. But that’s not too far to go. For a darn good physician.  But now I have a problem. Dr. Evje is retiring. I have to find another doctor. One virtually as good as Dr. Evje. Believe me, it won’t be an easy assignment. Because Dr. Evje may be as good as they come. –Jim Broede

No comments: