Wednesday, March 26, 2014

An un-American way to exercise.

I’m impressed. My Italian true love has joined an aerobics class. Meets three times a week. And I’m assuming she’s the star of the class. All women. She’s attended eight straight sessions. Without a miss. Of course, she’s got sore muscles. But I tell her, no pain, no gain. I’ve encouraged her to workout. Walking. Jogging. Bicycling. But she isn’t that disciplined. She made a wise choice. Doing aerobics. With others. The classmates motivate each other. As for me, I’d never  join an aerobics class. And I hardly ever do my daily three-hour exercise routine with others. I like solitude. Being alone. And proceeding at my own pace. In either walking/jogging, typically 10 miles a day, or biking 30 miles. Endurance is more important than speed. I could walk a marathon. Without difficulty. But running 26 miles? No way. I never tried a marathon. Even in my younger days. Don’t like the idea of competition. Instead, I run to relax. And one can’t do that in a competitive race. Maybe that sounds un-American. So be it. –Jim Broede

No comments: