Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Death isn't always bad.

Death isn’t always bad. I come to that conclusion. When I see some Alzheimer patients. Makes no sense to linger on. But that’s life. Sometimes it means a long, lingering death. When my dear sweet Jeanne died of complications from Alzheimer’s seven years ago, I was devastated.  I watched for 13 years. As Jeanne steadily deteriorated. From the ravages of Alzheimer’s. But still, I didn’t want her to die. Maybe for selfish reasons. I still wanted to cling to Jeanne. Despite the fact that she wasn’t Jeanne any more. But I still had Jeanne with me. A physical presence. I could still touch her. Care for her. Love her. She still provided a sustenance of sorts. For me. Yes, maybe I was being selfish. I still got personal satisfaction. From caring. I wasn’t quite ready to let go. But when Jeanne died, I had no choice. The physical Jeanne was gone. But after a day or two, I had grasped the presence of Jeanne’s spirit. I knew that she was still very much alive. And well. Like I say, death isn’t always bad. –Jim Broede

No comments: