Sunday, April 13, 2014

Disheartening, isn't it?

I lived in the old Jim Crow South for three years. In the 1960s. In Florida. In the cities of Lakeland and Vero Beach.  When it was the accepted way to deny blacks their basic civil and human rights. It was a gawdawful time. Even for a white guy like me. Because I never was part of the White Establishment. Of course, it could have been far worse. For me. If I had been black. In physical appearance, I could still pass for White Establishment. If I kept my mouth shut. Even closed-mouthed blacks didn’t have a chance. I’m not so sure about how much the South has changed since then. Despite the enactment of the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago under Lyndon Johnson.  The once heavily Democratic South has become the heavily Republican South. Primarily, to preserve the old ways. A more subtle form of Jim Crow. To keep the White Establishment in control. More or less. In fact, the Republican’s so-called Southern Strategy has spread. North. To states controlled by Republican-dominated legislatures. Where elections are being designed (rigged) to discourage turnout of anything but White Establishment voters. By making it more difficult to vote. In devious and even open ways. Severely limiting voting hours. By requiring voter picture IDs. By reducing the number of polls. By creating gerrymandered districts. On and on it goes.  Just like in the old days of the Jim Crow South. Only now, it’s spread. Across the nation. I marvel. At the audacity of it all. Jim Crow lives. When Jim Crow really should have been dead. Long, long ago. Rather disheartening, isn’t it? –Jim Broede

No comments: