Sunday, April 20, 2014

Please, no protection.

A good editor would protect me from myself. Here in my blog. But I don’t want to be protected. I’d rather be me. Imperfect. And a fool. Of course, I’m not always a fool. Only a part-time fool. Hard to tell. When I am. And when I’m not. It’s a fine line. If I feared becoming a fool, I’d hide away. And never go naked into the world. As a writer, I make plenty of mistakes. In the way I put things. I’m evolving. Trying to become more comfortable with myself. Bad editors make me uncomfortable. They stifle creativity. I’ve had good editors and bad editors. But never a perfect editor. Which means I have to protect myself, to some degree, from every editor. Especially those who would try to protect me from myself. Maybe I need protection. But still, I don’t want it. –Jim Broede

No comments: