Monday, April 21, 2014

Two dogs...and a man. Walking.

I can’t resist. Taking other people’s dogs for walks. Dogs that need to be walked. But aren’t. Because their owners keep them confined. To tiny yards. Two Siberian Huskies. Live such lives. Instead of getting out. To pull sleds. They were born. To pull. To exert themselves.  But Polly and Stinky hardly ever venture out. Beyond their tiny yards.  Therefore, I have offered to come to their rescue. And take them for walks. The owner says I might be sorry. Because they pull, pull, pull so hard. Mistaking me for a sled. To be pulled across the frozen tundra. But I tell the owner. I’ll give it a try. I’ll take that chance.  One dog at a time. I’ll find a way. For the sake of Polly and Stinky. For my salvation, too. It hurts me. When a dog isn’t treated like a dog. Hey. Dogs want to be dogs. Let them be dogs.  Yes, Polly and Stinky. When you are on the leash. Pull. Pull. Pull me to your heart’s content. We’ll manage. One way or another. Living life. The way it’s supposed to be lived. Naturally. Pulling. Pulling. For each other. Happily. Joyfully. Being our true selves. Two dogs…and a man. Walking. Walking. Walking together.  –Jim Broede

No comments: