Saturday, May 24, 2014

A vote for my beloved losers.

If I were a reasonably good baseball player. Capable of playing professionally. I wouldn’t mind playing for the perennial losing Chicago Cubs. Just for the enjoyment of the game. I’d accept being the lowest paid player on the Cubs.  That wouldn’t bother me. I’d even flirt with the idea of paying the Cubs. For the privilege of playing. I know. The Cubs are generally considered one of the worst teams. In Major League baseball, that is. But hey, that really ain’t all that bad. Relatively speaking. The Cubs, if assigned to a minor league, might be the best.  Real winners. Dominant. Awesome. As it is, the Cubs probably will lose 100-plus games this season. And finish last in the National League.  But as a Cubs fan, I try not to be chagrined. Because the Cubs have a decent chance of winning 60 games. Fun games. In which they prevail. Whether by luck. Or skill. And hey, they can even enjoy many of the losses. Because they came by margins of only one or two runs. Close games they might have won. Moral victories. That would be good enough for me. Because I enjoy playing baseball. Win or lose. Winning ain’t everything. Helps one understand. Why I proudly proclaim: The Cubs are my kind of baseball team. Yes, my beloved losers.  –Jim Broede

No comments: