Friday, May 23, 2014

Bottoms up.

I refuse. To be annoyed any more. When my home delivery copy of the New York Times isn’t delivered.  Missed. Skipped. For one reason or another. Happens relatively infrequently. Maybe 10 times a year. I’m supposed to call a number. Listed in the Times. And they promise to have the paper delivered. Later in the day. But nope.  That’s yet to happen. False promises. I plead with the Times circulation representatives. Usually in Iowa or North Carolina.  Not New York. To fix the problem. But they don’t.  So I ask for the name and phone number of the delivery man. They treat that as privileged information.  They don’t provide it. So, what to do about it. I bypass the Times bureaucracy. And act like an investigative reporter. I have my ways. Of uncovering secrets. Such as the name and address and cell phone number of the delivery guy. He missed Thursday’s delivery. He got a home visit. From me. Lo and behold, he delivered. And offered an apology.  Longstanding problem solved.  By working from the bottom up. Instead of from the top down.  –Jim Broede

No comments: