Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Give me cats and no fences.

Looks like Polly and Stinky can get too much of a good thing. The Siberian Huskies that I’ve been walking daily, got a taste of freedom. And once that happens, they can hardly be restrained.  They begin taking life into their own paws. Escaping. From their tiny compound. Darting to freedom through the invisible electronic fence. Willing to take an electric jolt. In exchange for a scamper to freedom. The daily walks have been put on hold. While their owner (a neighbor) evaluates the situation. Polly is still missing in action. Apparently enjoying her new-found freedom. Though I suspect she’ll return. When she’s hungry. Meanwhile, I’m no fan of electronic fences. For dogs, or anyone. I’d not want an electric shock every time I choose to roam free. Can’t blame Polly and Stinky. For the pursuit of a dream. To be free roaming dogs.  Of course, that creates a heavy burden on the dogs’ owner. Little wonder. I don’t own a dog any more. My cats, Loverboy and Chenuska, are sufficient. We have adapted to a quiet and subdued domestic life. Together. Without electric fences. –Jim Broede

No comments: