Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Please allow me to be abnormal.

A friend told me that I’m maybe the most ‘normal’ person she knows. That scares me. Because I have no desire to be normal. Just the opposite. I want to be abnormal. After further discussion, it became clear. That she meant I’m well-adjusted. Now that would be abnormal. Unlike many people in my circle. They come flagrantly maladjusted. Uncomfortable with themselves. I’ve very comfortable. Being me. Being in my own skin. Able to embrace and savor  my idiosyncrasies.  And be perfectly happy. Oh, maybe not perfectly. But reasonably happy. I’m programmed to pursue true happiness. Rejecting the state of unhappiness. Getting on with life. The way I want to live it. Meanwhile, I see so very many unhappy people. Friends. Acquaintances. Strangers. They could choose paths to happiness. But don’t. Makes me wonder. If that’s the new normal. If so, please allow me to be abnormal. –Jim Broede    

No comments: