Sunday, June 8, 2014

Capturing Ron's essence.

I’m able to learn something significant. About a total stranger. Without ever having met him. Merely by chatting. For 10 minutes. With one of his acquaintances. I practiced such a craft. By volunteering.  To write obituaries. Neat and beautiful. That captured a most memorable moment. In his life. An obituary that could be read in two or three minutes.   It might be more difficult. Accomplishing such a feat. With a friend. Because. For a short  obituary.  I’d have to pick and choose. From so many, many possibilities. But still, I’d find a way. To zero in. On a single touching moment. I’d not meander. I’d get to it. In a blink of an eye. A single memory. Embellished. In a  romantic way. That’s all it takes. l decided the other night. As I eavesdropped. On a conversation. At a dinner. What it would be. For my Alzheimer-riddled friend Ron. Love letters. Written to woe his true love. Of 62 years.  That alone. Would capture Ron’s essence. The thing that made his life worthwhile. –Jim Broede

No comments: