Friday, June 6, 2014

Let's give the guy a break.

I spent three years in the U.S. Army. Most of it stationed in Germany. That was a long time ago.  Therefore, things may have changed dramatically since then. But still, I suspect soldiers are soldiers. Pretty much the same. A blend of personalities. Good guys. Bad guys.  All trying to get along. In the process, I’ve seen some pretty strange stuff. Some soldiers are weird. Basket cases.  With no business being in the military. Because they are incompetent human beings. Nasty. Belligerent. Scumbags.  Maybe the military has cleaned up the ranks. Don’t know.  Anyway, what I’m getting around to saying: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl isn’t one of the bad guys.  Not even close.  I’d let him off the hook. For allegedly deserting his unit. In Afghanistan. And being captured and held by the Taliban for five years.  Bergdahl may be something of a flake. For his inclination to wander off post occasionally. To observe the moon and the stars. Seems like he didn’t mix well with the guys. He preferred going off my himself.  For a bit of solitude. He always came back. Except this once.  I give him the benefit of the doubt. His intent wasn’t to desert. Let’s give the guy a break. No court martial. And an honorable discharge. –Jim Broede

No comments: