Saturday, June 7, 2014

Making a feast of crumbs.

The baseball gods keep toying with me. Testing me. Annoying me.  Making my heart palpitate. Forcing me to say thank you. For the privilege. Of occasionally feeling good. When the Chicago Cubs don’t blow a game. Or stage an unlikely rally. To pull out a dramatic win.  The Cubs are on a four-game winning streak. A rare treat.  Indeed, a phenomenal feat. But still, the gods make me sweat. The Cubs have a 3-0 lead in the ninth inning. But Miami scores 3. To tie the game. And force extra innings. The game lasts for over 4 hours. Tension builds. But alas, the Cubs win in the 13th inning. The kind of game they usually lose. So I take to the ground. On bended knees. And thank the baseball gods. Even though the Cubs are mired in last place. Goes to show. A Cubs fan can make a feast of crumbs.  –Jim Broede    

No comments: