Thursday, July 24, 2014

Falling for a small town.

Exploring. Small town, USA. I could spend a lifetime. In such a pursuit. I love small towns. And I generally avoid big cities. Such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. I’m talking to my Italian true love. About a trip this summer. Driving clear away from freeways. And taking rural roads. Into off-the-beaten track small towns.  Staying a few hours. Enough time to get a feel for the places. We made a test run. Today. To Osceola. In western Wisconsin. Along the St. Croix River.  Met a handful of Osceola’s 2,500 inhabitants.  Strolling on the main street. Where there’s Mexican and Chinese restaurants, antique stores, a bowling alley, an ice cream parlor  and offices. And not least. A waterfall. That requires. For a full and complete view. Walking a stairwell. For 128 steps down. And then 128 back up. –Jim Broede

No comments: