Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The goodness of exercise.

All I know. Exercise tends to be good. Physical.  Mental. Spiritual. In all forms. Could be. When we reach the spiritual dimension. In an afterlife. We can discard physical exercise.  Don’t know about that yet. Because my spirit is still locked in my physical being. Though I have out-of-body experiences/illusions.  Studies that I have read surmise that physical exercise is generally good for physical being. Those with and without dementia. I buy into that concept.  I walk at least 10 miles. Every day. Some days, I bike 30 miles.  I’m addicted to exercise. Don’t know if it wards off Alzheimer’s. But I know for sure. It makes me feel good. It’s my positive fix. I take my Alzheimer-riddled friend Ron for walks daily. Seems to do him good. And no harm.  He’s focused on the walk. In thrilling ways. Meanwhile, it’s a crime. That many people in nursing homes don’t go outdoors. For weeks. For months.  Generally, walking is good therapy. For the mind. Ron thinks more clearly when he walks. I suspect he feels more alive. More with it. Of course, walking is only one stimulant. In the arsenal of stimulants needed. In the effective treatment of Alzheimer’s. --Jim Broede

No comments: