Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Time for the USA to mend its ways.

I’d rather be a humble American than a proud American. Seems to me, there are far too many proud Americans. Proud for the wrong reasons. Because they think America is the greatest nation on Earth. Mostly, that’s what they’ve been told. By ultraconservative politicians. Liars. Truth-avoiders. Oh, America is all right. But there are many other countries equally good. Maybe even better than America.  I can think of a few. Norway. Iceland. New Zealand. On the top of my list is the Italian state of Sardinia, my winter haven and the home of my Italian true love. One thing I like about the Sardos. They tend to mind their own business when it comes to world affairs.  The city where I live has a communist on the city council.  That’s a plus. Because I’m an open-minded liberal when it comes to politics. I like a nice blend of persuasions and personalities running the political show. Reasonable people tolerant of each other. That’s one of America’s glaring shortcomings. Intolerance. Especially in the political arena. I can do without the arrogance. Meanwhile, I ain’t exactly humble. Personally, that is. Because I was brought up to think too much like an American.  But I’m trying to mend my ways. Wish America would do the same. –Jim Broede

No comments: