Tuesday, November 11, 2014

After all, it's my life.

I define myself. As a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a lover, a dreamer.  Seems to me, that’s better than allowing others to define me. When I was a youngster, others did the defining. Mainly, my parents. And teachers. Then I took charge. Now, I’m in almost full control. Helps that I sort of isolate myself. Being close only to a few chosen friends and associates.  And I retreat to my cocoon.  Often. Of course, outsiders will try to define me. From a distance. As eccentric. And that’s all right. After all, I tend to deviate from the so-called norm. I’m different. And proud of it. And I like people that are different. They arouse my curiosity. Because they aren’t afraid to be. Themselves. Even if that means breaking societal rules. I violate rules, too. But mostly in harmless ways.  Such as breaking rules of grammar. Because that makes for an easier flow. And better understanding, really.  I like my own style. Of living. And loving. And writing. Even if others don’t. After all, it’s my life.–Jim Broede 

No comments: