Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Maybe it's already too late.

I was tempted. To stay home. And not vote in last week’s mid-term elections. Figuring my vote wouldn’t count. Wouldn’t decide the outcome. In any race. True. My vote didn’t have any effect. I could just as well have stayed home. Many of my choices were between bad and worse. So I wrote in my neighbor Rick’s name. Just for the heck of it. My way to protest. The lack of real choices on the ballot. Yes, I knowingly wasted my vote. Because it didn’t matter. We know our votes won’t really count. Because in the end, big money speaks louder than our votes. It’s all rigged. Maybe. Some day. We’ll get genuinely angry. After the middle class has been obliterated. And do something about it. By taking to the streets. To start a revolution. More meaningful than the one in 1776. Maybe we will have had enough. When in 2016, an ultra-conservative Republican becomes elected president of the United (Failed) States of America. Time to wake up, fellow Americans. Unfortunately, maybe it’s already too late. --Jim Broede

No comments: