Thursday, December 18, 2014

People in dire need.

A black man, speaking Italian, approached me today. Here in Sardinia. I asked him if he wouldn't rather speak English. Without first inquiring whether he knew the language. Chances are overwhelming that if he's black and in Italy, he speaks the queen's English.  Which he learned in Africa. Probably in Nigeria or Ghana. And that he's a refugee/immigrant.  Anyway, Chris John Elboghomben gave me a big smile. As English flowed off his tongue. He's a street vendor, selling knick-knacks. A beggar, too. Trying to survive. Trying to raise enough money for food. And for his 200-euro-a-month room rent. In Sardinia's capitol city, Cagliari. Indeed, it's a tough life. But a better option than staying in his native Nigeria.  Fourteen months ago, Chris John boarded a ship in Libya. Taking him to Sicily. Then on to Sardinia. Where the economy is bad. Even for Italians. Earlier in the day, I spotted an elderly woman. Wearing a babushka. Sitting on the sidewalk. On my city's main street. Begging for alms. I asked if she knew English. So I could learn more. No she doesn't. But her presence spoke loud and clear. People in dire need. Everywhere. Look around. --Jim Broede

No comments: