Monday, January 12, 2015

Except for the occasional jerk.

Italians  are funny. And different.  I suppose that goes for any nationality. But I'm in Italy. And so that's what I see every day. Italians.  Italians.  And more Italians.  And I very much like what I see. Except for the occasional rude jerk. Like the guy at the information booth. At the local hospital in my town and winter residence:  Carbonia, in the province of Sardinia.  Cristina, my Italian amore mio, asked him for simple directions. How to get to a certain administrative office. The guy said something to the effect that the directions would be too difficult for her to understand. Like he didn't want to waste his time being helpful. Of course, that's a sign that he doesn't like his job. Therefore, he takes it out on the people he's supposed to be serving.  Seated at the information desk, one would  expect him to be a font of infomation. And courteous, too.  Anyway, we went elsewhere for directions.  To another employee at the hospital. She was good enough to accompany us along the entire circuitous route. Right into the office.  Another reason for me to like Italians. Except for the occasional jerk. --Jim Broede

No comments: