Sunday, January 11, 2015

Let that be my eternity.

Seems to me that age is mostly a state of mind. Too many of us are too frequently reminded that age is a chronological thing. Living in a society that dictates when one becomes aged. A senior citizen. Or elderly. For that reason, I don't like to count years, or birthday anniversaries. Best to live one day at a time. Savoring life every day. By grasping the precious moments. Of just being alive and conscious and aware of the pulsebeat of life. Gleaning something significant.  Even in a hospital bed. Looking out the window. From my fifth floor room. I see the Mediterranean Sea, 20 miles away. The rolling green hills, too.  And a cluster of orange-tiled roofs.  I notice it all. Grateful to be alive. To be blessed. Doesn't matter whether I'm 79 or 47 or 32. Nice, of course, that I've lasted this long. Better than to have died relatively young. But in some ways, I'm still very young. I'm still a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a political liberal, a lover, a dreamer, a writer. Maybe until the day I die. And even then, maybe I pass on to another dimension. To another realm.  Even beyond my imagination.  But if not, I've still lived. If only for a moment. Then let that be my eternity.  --Jim Broede

No comments: