Saturday, January 10, 2015

The good life, shepherd-style.

Little did I expect to be sharing a hospital room with a shepherd. Especially a 90-year-old one.  But it was my privilege. Getting to know Salvatore. He's spent nearly all of his life. Tending to sheep. On his sprawling farm in rural Sardinia, an Italian province island in the Mediterranean Sea. I'm envious of Salvatore. Having long dreamed of becoming a shepherd myself. In the quiet countryside. Almost any place in the world. But Sardinia would be my first choice. Because it is paradise. And Salvatore knows it, too. He was shepherding. Until a few weeks ago. When he became ill. With heart problems. A bad back, too.  Which makes walking difficult.  Salvatore was already occupying a bed when I arrived. As a patient. At the municipal hospital. In Carbonia, the city where I'm spending the winter. With Cristina, my beloved amore mio.  It was initially difficult for Salvatore and I to communicate and commiserate with each other.  Because Salvatore speaks only Italian and a Sardinian dialect. I speak English and virtually no Italian. Lucky for both of us that my true love Cristina showed up every day. She speaks Italian and good English. And served as translator. Therefore, Salvatore and I got to know each other. Wouldn't surprise me if Salvatore recovers. And takes to the grazing fields again. Used to be that Salvatore slept outdoors. With the sheep. Now, most Sardinian shepherds have convenient shelters. But for Salvatore, there's nothing more comfortable than sleeping under an open sky lit by a silvery moon and sparkling stars.  Maybe that's a contributing factor to Salvatore's longevity.  Fresh air. And pursuit of an occupation thtat's far more pleasure than work.  In addition to sheep, he's helped raise a family of 10 children. His wife couldn't visit him. She's at home, confined to a wheelchair. They are still very much in love. Salvatore asks visitors to loan their cell phone. For a few seconds. Just so he can give his wife a soothing love greeting.  Salvatore's youngest daughter visits every day. She'll inherit the farmhouse -- a reward for being the most devoted of his children,  Two sons will inherit the farm they have helped Salvarore to operate. Meanwhile, Salvatore knows he's running out of time.  But he takes it all in stride. Satisfied. To have outlived all the males from his elementary school class.  He'd like to outlast the women, too. Won't surprise me if he does. That happens. Whn one has an unquenchable desire for the good life, shepherd-style. --Jim Broede

No comments: