Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The way my amore mio lives.

I love Italy, but...  That's the problem. Too many buts. The main one being that I operate more smoothly in America. Because I speak the language of most Americans. English. In Italy, I'm crippled. Because of the language barrier. I am not conversant in Italian. If I spoke fluent Italian, I'd have no difficulty. Living in Italy. Year-round. Instead, I go back and forth. I spend more time in the U.S. Than in Italy. It's a nice arrangement. Because my amore mio is Italian. She is Italy's major attraction. She lured me to Italy. Of course, I also lured her to America. She spends summers with me. In Minnesota. And I'm with her most winters. In Sardinia. When we are separated, we still see and converse with each other. Daily. Mostly on Skype. Both of us think we have the best of two worlds. With our transnational/international relationship. One might even call it a de facto marriage. We not only speak to each other daily. I also use the written word. In form of my specialty. Love letters. That's one of the best and most effective ways to communicate. Intimately. Yes, with the written word. Maybe because it has lasting power. Able to be read and re-read. By the recipient. To capture the full meaning/flavor.  Anyway, I live by language. English. Though it also would be nice.  If I were able to live by a second language, too. Fortunately, that's the way my amore mio lives. With two languages. Very effectively. Which is a blessing. For me. --Jim Broede

No comments: