Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A downright dirty shame.

Forgive me, folks. For being far too judgmental. Of some of my friends and associates. Especially those that I deem to be self-destructive. They have become alcoholics. A disease that can be successfully treated. I remind my alcoholic friends that they can go into rehab and become more or less cured. And lead normal lives again.  I remind them, too, that the Alzheimer-riddled don't have such an option. The disease gets progressively worse. There's no cure. I have empathy for the Alzheimer-afflicted. I would never write them off. I'd stick by them. In the most difficult times. And go out of my way to be their dedicated and loyal friend. But I have far less empathy for an alcoholic. I'd even write-off some alcoholic friends. It's a judgment call.  Annoys me. That they don't seek readily-available treatment. Refusing the opportunity to recover. Yes, a downright dirty shame. --Jim Broede

No comments: