Friday, April 17, 2015

An everlasting presence.

It's unhealthy to grieve for a long, long time. For years, for instance. I have a friend. That doesn't know how to stop grieving for the loss of her elderly parents. She flits into depression. Laments. Cries. I encourage her to get over it. Maybe that makes me seem heartless. No, it really doesn't. Some grievers are masochistic. They are needlessly punishing themselves. They assume that grieving endlessly is the right and proper thing to do.  No. No. No, I protest. It's unhealthy. Abnormal. To refuse to get on with life. One must learn to accept the loss of loved ones. Especially elderly parents who lived a long and fruitful life. I have nothing against grieving. Within reasonable limits. But at some point, one must adjust. And accept the loss. And focus on what one still has. A spiritual connection. To those near and dear to us. An everlasting presence. --Jim Broede

No comments: