Friday, June 12, 2015

Another wonder of life.

It's a good bet. That my father was mentally ill. When he committed suicide. In 1949. No doubt, he could have been saved. And lived a long life. If he had received treatment. For his addiction to gambling. Perhaps psychotherapy. Perhaps anti-depressant drugs not yet invented.  Fate isn't predetermined. One can alter the future. That's one way of looking at life. Of course, one can't turn back the clock. I was only 13. When my dad decided he had enough of life. I knew very little about the intricacies of mental illness. About depression. About addictions. That would drive one to suicide. Now I have a better understanding. I might even have the wherewithal to intervene. To take action. To prevent a so-called inevitable suicide. To alter someone's future. In a positive, life-saving way. Imagine that. Another wonder of life. --Jim Broede

No comments: