Sunday, June 21, 2015

Maybe that makes me a cad.

Julie told me tonight that we are no longer friends. Of course. I more or less wrote off Julie weeks ago. Announcing that at best we are semi-friends. That I'll accept her as a friend conditionally. Only if she stops drinking and gets psychotherapy and other treatment for depression.  I can't accept Julie for what she has become. A mere shadow of her former vibrant and happy self. Maybe that makes me a cad. But that's the way I operate. I've had only three true (unconditional) friends in a lifetime. Which ain't bad. Julie isn't one of them. Unfortunately. For me. And for Julie, too. Years ago, I would have considered Julie worthy of my friendship. But she doesn't meet my standards anymore. And apparently I don't meet her standards. That's the nature of life. Some friends come and go. But that doesn't stop me from getting on with life. In a reasonably happy manner.  Without Julie. --Jim Broede

No comments: