Saturday, June 6, 2015

For the sake of friendship.

I’m learning. To treat Julie as my off-and-on friend. Not a dear friend, not an always friend. For good reason. Julie really isn’t Julie any more. Only a slight resemblance of her former self. Julie is mentally ill. In despair. In depression. Crazy. In a not very nice way. Especially when she drinks too much wine. Imbibing. It dramatically changes her personality. In the worst way. Yes. Yes. I should be forgiving. And learn to accept Julie as she is. Recognizing that she’s ill. And can’t totally help herself. But I’m drawing a line. I absolutely cannot accept Julie as she is. I want a better and nicer Julie. So does Julie’s husband. He’s had enough of the ill and erratic and bitchy behavior. The Julie that steadfastly refuses to obtain help. As if Julie has the capability of making a real choice. Maybe Julie is unable to make rational decisions. Oh, for the power and authority to put Julie away. In a sanitarium. In an asylum. Until she becomes well again. Yes, I insist, dear Julie. That you go in for treatment. My ultimatum. Take it or leave it. Find a way. For the sake of friendship. –Jim Broede

No comments: