Saturday, June 6, 2015

Stubborn Julie.

I'd rather cope with depression than Alzheimer's. For an obvious reason.  With proper treatment, depression can be brought under control. With Alzheimer's, one can expect a steady decline. No matter what. Therefore, my empathy is more with the Alzheimer-riddled than with my depressed friend Julie. I really don't feel all that sorry for Julie. Because she has the option. To go into psychotherapy. And to take an effective anti-depressant. Unfortunately, Julie has been slow in seeking help. She dilly dallies. Procrastinates. And continues to get more and more depressed. And it doesn't help, either, that she exacerbates the depression by drinking too much.  All of this is happening to the alarm of friends and cohorts. If they had the power and authority, they'd force Julie into treatment. Instead, Julie resists their anguished pleas. And drifts into self-induced despair.  Of course, I'm annoyed. With stubborn Julie. She doesn't follow my advice. I tell her that our friendship is over. Unless she takes steps to become well again. I refuse to watch. As her condition steadily worsens. So sad. After all, there is treatment. And a cure for depression. Better that. Than what really amounts to a slow form of suicide. It'll be reason for me to lament and grieve. Briefly. Then I'll get on with the rest of my happy go-lucky life. --Jim Broede

No comments: