Saturday, June 13, 2015

Thank you, amore.

Enrico Berlinguer. I had never heard of the guy. Until yesterday. On the 31st anniversary of his death. Turns out he was an Italian. From Sardinia. A political hero of my Italian amore. She was watching a documentary film. About Berlinguer. Almost became Italy's prime minister. In the 1970s. When the Communists were flourishing.  With 34 percent of the Italian vote. Not so much any more. But still, Communists abound. As a minority. They still get elected to city councils in Italy. Even in the city of Carbonia. Where I live with my amore in the wintertime. The leftist leaning of the local populace makes  me feel comfortable.  Because I'm a political liberal.  Anyway, Berlinguer was secretary general of the Italian Communist Party from 1972 until his death in 1984. He was revered by my amore.  For starting a movement among Western European Communists toward greater independence from Moscow. Berlinguer was one of Italy's most popular politicians. As the once powerful Christian Democratic Party faltered and Italy fell into social and economic disarray, he preached a Westernized brand of Communism that appealed to nearly a third of the voters. I looked up his obituary. In the New York Times. And learned that Berlinguer proposed a 'historic compromise.' With other parties. In 1973. Seen by some as the leading edge of the distinctive brand of Communism that began to take hold in Western Europe. The Italian Communists rejected the idea of violent revolution. Declaring they would seek power through a coalition with Christian Democrats and others. 'We have never believed that one single party, or single class, can solve the problems of our country.' Berlinguer said. Wish the guy were still alive today. So I could shake his hand. And tell him he's my new-found hero, too. Thank you, amore. For bringing Berlinguer to my rapt attention. --Jim Broede
       

No comments: