Friday, July 3, 2015

Settling for being near-perfect.

I'm an all-too-typical American. Wishing everyone spoke my language. English. Because that's the only language in which I am reasonably conversant. Of course, if I were a not-so-typical American, I would be speaking multiple languages. Maybe French and German and Italian and Spanish. That would be a good start. Perhaps followed by Chinese and Russian. I'm ashamed of myself. Having never become fluent in any language other than English. Fortunately, I'm acquainted with a fair number of English-speaking nationals from other countries. Indeed, that's an advantage. And a blessing. My Italian amore speaks beautiful English. With a charming accent. Anyway, I confess. I'm a failure. When it comes to mastery of other languages. But hey, I don't dwell on it. And don't really feel guilty. Because I can't be a master of everything. I'll just have to settle for being near-perfect. --Jim Broede

No comments: