Friday, July 24, 2015

Time for more empathy.

I'm discovering. Slowly and surely. That there's no easy solution. To my friend Julie's mental illness. Depression and grieving. And all the other hang-ups that run deep.  They aren't easily uprooted and treated. Not so simple. For Julie to get well again.  She'll probably need psychotherapy and other kinds of treatment. For many years. Maybe for the rest of her life. I was a fool. To think that all Julie needed. Was a commitment. To quit drinking. To excess.  Maybe she will. Some day. But Julie has a gamut of serious psychological problems to address. Fortunately, she's making a gallant attempt. But it's going to take some luck, too. Or maybe even divine intervention. Anyway, I'm through calling Julie a semi-friend. She's a real friend. In dire need. And I'll stick by her. No matter what. Indeed, I have been too hard on Julie. It's time that I showed more empathy. --Jim Broede

No comments: